Cook Your Stress Away
Hi everyone, its Siobhan here!
I love cooking because it enables me to cook yummy, nutritious foods but I also use that time as my headspace. It’s a time where I can put on some music and allow myself to only focus on the ingredients in front of me.!
I’m sure many of you right now are saying ‘oh but I can’t cook’, ‘I never know where to start’, ‘tasty meals always need ingredients that I won’t have’… Trust me I used to be that person.
So, here is a really simple recipe that is packed with anti-inflammatory ingredients, omega-3 and high in protein. Not only does it taste great, but it’s going to leave you feeling fuller for longer and stop you reaching for those cheeky after dinner biscuits!
You will need:
An oil of your choice – I choose to cook with coconut oil
1 large onion – diced
Ginger – I chose to grate a fresh ginger, but dried will do
½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp cumin
1 ½ tsp turmeric
1 ½ tsp coriander
1 red chilli – I didn’t have a fresh chilli so chose chilli flakes
1 garlic clove
1 large red pepper
70g basmati rice
375ml vegetable stock
160g baby spinach leaves
For the salmon:
3 tbsp natural yoghurt
1 tbsp coriander
2 salmon fillets
Toasted almonds to serve
1. Heat the oil in a pan and fry the onion and ginger for about 5 mins
2. Add the cumin, cinnamon and 1 tsp each of the turmeric and coriander (you’ll need the rest for the salmon topping)
3. Next add the chilli, garlic and pepper and rice, and then pour over the stock
4. Cook until the stock has been absorbed and then stir in the spinach
5. Whilst the stock is being absorbed, prepare the salmon on a tray
6. Mix the yoghurt with the remaining turmeric and coriander, and spread the yoghurt mixture over the top of the salmon
7. Grill the salmon for 8-10 minutes
8. Top the kedgeree with the salmon fillets and scatter over the almonds to serve